It was created using a program called ArtRage.
Artrage is really good and being fun doodling with tools that emulate traditional mediums. The brush strokes are real nice. And having had started with traditional mediums back in the day, I like to revisit those roots when I can with my digital art, because really, I don’t get to go back and mess with real paints and inks as much as I’d like to.
First phase, sketched out the basic head, just getting my composition down and marking fur patterns and such. I had other head angles sketched but I I forgot to save them.
Black “ink” linework and worked in a colored background of the general color I know I wanna work with. I wanted kind of a moody deep feeling for this piece, so I went with some dim earthy warm colors.
Keeping in mind my lightsources, I just just filling this guy in. I start with a basic flat color foundation, one layer for each color fur pattern, and just work in my shadows and highlights. Didn’t focus too much on reflective color on this piece.
I did some touch up shadowing in Photoshop. I knew I wanted more for the background, and in this wip, you can see the black outline. With so much “black” on this character, I didn’t feel like the black outline did enough. I used what I felt like was “white out”, to outline him, and the entire time I couldn’t help but think of the old days when I’d love to paint on paper collages.
And that’s what you see in the final version above.